Friday, March 6, 2009

Music – You arouse and disgust me simultaneously





Anyone that knows me at all well, knows that I have been told that I have ‘unusual’ taste in music on more than a few occasions. Well I don’t think I do, but if it is unusual to be bored beyond the point human tolerance with hip hop artists wearing bling, singing about ho’s and boasting about how many rivals they have shot; emo’s with vertical fringes, screaming then singing with a whiny middle-American accents and imposing their self-loathing upon me; and turgid Top 40 trash that is forgotten faster than whatever human interest story A Current Affair are pushing on any given week – then call me a musical weirdo.

Because I am a humanist and feel sorry for those of you who listen to shit music, and (more likely) because I haven’t posted a blog for some time, I have compiled a list of musicians/bands who are worthy of using their share of Earth’s oxygen. These artists do things differently in my opinion. Rather than knowing exactly which direction each song will go, you are left guessing. Clearly these are not the only musicians on the planet who don't suck absolute balls, but these are my standouts of recent times.


Check them out and become cool like me.



Crystal Castles




Heartsrevolution





M.I.A.




Ladyhawke




Nouvelle Vague



Kap Bambino



I salute the above saviors of musical integrity.

I think it is worth noting that my particular hatred of commercial hip hop had led me to make the following observation. Just like the the excesses of 80's hair metal contributed to its' downfall in the bleak financial times of the early 90's, those of the bling-obsessed hip hop world will do the same. There are only so many times people losing everything they own because of various global recessions can listen to some obnoxious rapper telling them how much cash they have before they turn off their so-called 'music'.

2 comments:

Mish said...

What a shock to see your page updated!

You should make us all a mix tape! Because we are too lazy to illegally download the songs!

Tim said...

I know, I thought I would do something different - post on my blog.

Check out my latest post/piss poor excuse for a mixtape.